Join us in celebrating historical and current events surrounding the Balfour Declaration Centenary.
Visit to Israel of Philip Weyers, great-grandson of Jan Smuts
- Wednesday 1 November - 12.30 to 14.00 - Lunch Raanana Lunch Club. Philip to deliver a talk about Jan Smuts and Jewry in general including early life of the “Oubaas”. 30 - 45 minutes followed by audience questions
- Thursday 2 November - visit to Kibbutz Ramat Yohanan
- Thursday 2 November (evening). Arrive Jerusalem 20:00 for Balfour Day Flagship event in Jerusalem. Guest of Honour Lord Turnberg with Philip Weyers as a special guest. Evening to take the form of a debate/discussion. Main address by Lord Turnberg. Philip to speak for about 10 minutes on the relationship between Jan Smuts and Chaim Weizmann
- Friday 3 November - informal lunch (braai) with Bailey family and a few selected guests at residence of Adrian and Limor Bailey
- Saturday 4 November - Sabbath at leisure (possibility of arranging a day tour)
- Sunday 5 November - Telfed event in Raanana to celebrate the Balfour Centenary, honour Jan Smuts for his Zionist endeavours and thank Philip Weyers for visiting Israel
- Monday 6 November - visit to Kibbutz Sde Eliyahu (residence of Hayden Bailey) Kibbutz tour and visit to Beit Shean National Park. Peter and Jeanne Bailey plus other selected guests who wish to join in the visit.
- Tuesday 7 November - Knesset, Jerusalem - whole day plenary session - subject Balfour Declaration
- Wednesday 8 November Balfour Centenary Dinner, Tel Aviv - timing to be confirmed
- Thursday 9 November - Return to South Africa